Thursday, March 15, 2007

This picture is contraband. Though for all my sweat through North Korean customs, I managed a sneaky picture of a genuine North Korean village.


A mural some 15 feet high showing (Dear) Kim Jong-Il, and (Great) Kim Il-Sung, somewhere on Mars by the looks of things. Geoff and Brent - eat your hearts out. I must admit that this picture was not taken by my hand. You must hand the North Korean agent your camera so that he might ensure that no part of the leaders has been cropped, which would be showing the most callous disrespect.

That's much better. Don't mess with freedom of speech.

Shingyesa Temple - organized religion has been abolished in the North. This temple is somehow allowed, rebuilt very recently by a South Korean monk. This man, and many, many northerners, anxiously await reunification.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Your pics turned out great! The black and whites, especially.

Callus disrespect, schmallus schmisrespect. Word to free speech!

6:48 AM  
Blogger DebraSun said...

Greetings!
I compile the "mahasangha news" section of Buddhadharma: The Practitioner's Quarterly. We would like to run a small item on the recent restoration ceremony (held Oct 2007) of the Shingye-sa Temple. Yours is one of the few photos I have been able to find. Would you be able to send me a high res (300 dpi) version? I would be delighted to send you a free year's subscription to both our publications (the other being the Shambhala Sun). Thanks for any help you are able to provide.
regards,
Debra Ross

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home