Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Korean climbing scene

This morning I walked about 20 minutes to the climbing wall, part of an impressive outdoor sports center including raquetsports, basketball and kids stuff. Trevor and I have vowed to climb a few times a week to negate the effects of the incredible amounts of fried chicken we ingest around town. Today was the climbing "festival" the first competition I have witnessed. Its unfortunate this event coincided with the first rainy weather I've seen since coming into country. The best part of the event was this kid - no more than 7 years old - besting many of the adults straining under the mens route. Check this kiddo out!


Only with regret I can say that I was successful in declining the invitation of the organizers to partake in the comp. Tomorrow we'll check out the route on our own, and decide if it would have been too advanced for me, or see if I could have been the white climbing prodigy - the hottest thing to hit Seoul since live octopus. As it was I was the only spectator without black hair and taller than 5'9'', I decided that I was getting enough attention as it was without putting on some kind of climbing display.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home