Saturday, October 20, 2007

Last bit of Korea - October 2007

Hands-down, favorite sport climbing route in Korea, "Elieda" at Ganyeon. It seemed so much harder last december! Awesome last climbing weekend with Nic, Kris and Jessie. Thanks again.

Last weekend road trip to Seoraksan park with my extended Korean family. Trees manage to put down roots just about anywhere, don't they?

Last night - last chance to try SamNakji - live baby octopus. Tastes very much like cooked octopus, but squiggles more and tends to suck on to the inside of your cheeks. Mani Mashiseyo!


Leaving Incheon port harbour. Here goes......

Seoul to Beijing: mid-October

After a truly spectacular year, and last few months in Seoul, South Korea, I find myself in Beijing, China. About a 20 minute walk brings me to face the enormity of Tiananmen square, the largest public square in the world. And in front of that lies the series of gates leading to the Forbidden City, palace to the imperials for nearly 600 years. The city screams of history, and of change in anticipation of the 2008 Olympics. Entire neighborhoods are being levelled to make room for shopping and accomodation, a new history I suppose.

On a rented bike I entered the maze of Beijing's hutong, the alleyways off of which traditional residential courtyards lie. Even these are being cosmeticized. City contracted workers paint every outside wall dark grey, sharply contrasting the red of the chinese flags hung from rooftops. Luckily for this hapless navigator, much of the city is arranged according to fengshui tennets, making it unlikely for even me to become disoriented. This trip is afterall, all about Orientation.

An overnight tour of the Great Wall, from Simatai to Jinshanling, will hopefully be in store for tomorrow and its following, and after that its down south towards warmer weather and the climbing I have come for.

If you've been steadfast enough to be still checking this journal after about a 3 month dry-spell, I assure you that I'll be posting my experiences more regularily now. But also know that this log is just as much for me as it is for any of you, and I should warn you, and remind you, that often I just don't know whats best for me. A disclaimer, if you will. I hope the waning fall finds everyone healthy, happy, and warm. And regular, in a GI kind of way. If you know what I mean. Peace.


People's Heroes Monument, Tiananmen Square. Politburo headquarters in the background.

Entrance to the Forbidden city. Big Brother isnt still watching you, he's dead and embalmed down the road.

China's Great Wall - Jinshanling to Simitai.

Thank God for the translated menu! Luckily for Mom I went for the Black mushrooms rape, and pull out the silk banana, with a side of fry to infuse the bowel instead.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Olson's said...

Les,

We knew your time in Korea was coming up shortly but we didn't think that you would be gone this quickly. So sorry that we got so caught up in gettin settled in that we didn't get up to your end of town for a beer, a hike or a good game of Settlers. Mike and Kris let us know that you were in China yesterday when we saw them. I hope that you have to best time ever and we will greatly miss you around these parts. Oh and Trevor now works with Sara, she came to Suwon with us last year.

Enjoy China!!
Rachel and Trevor

4:41 AM  
Blogger sonjah said...

hi Les,

I found your blog while researching climbing in south korea.

I have a burning question for you...

If you were to take a 3 week climbing vacation would you take it in South Korea or China?

A small group of us (from BC, Canada) are planning a trip in Apr.08.

Looking for quality sport climbing (vertical to over hanging) in the 5.11 -5.12+ range.

Thanks for keeping such a vivid blog. Keep rockin.

peace,
Sonja

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home